What is Push Notification ?
Push notifications are simple messages from apps installed on a device that wake up the handset and alert the user with a message displayed on the home or lock screen. Push notifications are widely used on all mobile devices as a way to inform or update the user.
Top Push Notification Providers
- Google Cloud Messaging Services (GCM) for Android – https://developers.google.com/cloud-messaging/
- Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) for iOS Devices – https://developer.apple.com/notifications/
- Microsoft Push Notification Services (MPNS) – https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff402558(v=vs.105).aspx
How Push Notification works ?
Step 1 : Mobile is Registered with GCM / APNS / MPNS
Step 2 : Once registration is successful, it’ll return some registrationID (encrypted) which is unique for every device and every application
Step 3 : After receiving RegistrationID, We have to submit the registrationID to our own server.
Step 4 : Store registrationID with our database with user’s unique ID
Sending Push Notification:
Step a : Send Push Message to GCM / APNS / MPNS with registrationID
Step b : GCM / APNS / MPNS will automatically send your push messages when user is online
Read Previous tutorial for push notification setup for phonegap / apache cordova based applications,
- Part 1 : Setting up Google Project for Apache Cordova / Phonegap Push Notification
- Part 2 : Setting up Apache Cordova / Phonegap Project for Receiving Push Notification
- Part 3 : Sending Push Notification using PHP for Apache Cordova / Phonegap Projects